Tuesday, November 18, 2008

ARCS, pp. 364-365 #1, 3, 4

1.) A Hugo Boss women’s perfume advertisement features a black and white photograph of a woman’s face with the saying, “Life’s a journey, travel light.” The oppositie page features a large image of the perfume bottle above the words, “Don’t immitate, innovate.” This magazine advertisement is an example of a trope where a woman’s life is being compared to a journey. Therefore, the trope serves as a metaphor. Also, the phrase, “travel light,” is being used in reference to a perfume, which is not what audiences would typically expect. Still, the metaphor works to convince consumers that the only thing they need to be percieved as attractive is this certain fragrance.

3.) I am revising an e-mail I recently wrote to one of my instructors:

I regret to inform you that I will not be able to attend the meeting this evening. I am obligated to work tonight from 3:00-6:00pm. I am aware that I have only been present at one meeting, and I sincerely hope that this is not a problem. If you would like me to meet with you another time, I would be very willing to do so. However, I am not having any problems with any of the students at my current location. I am occupied with my job every Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday at Mountainview Elementary from 3:00-6:00. I do not believe that I will be working during finals week, so if desired, I could meet with you sometime during that period. Please let me know if there is anything else you need me to do. Thank you very much for your time.

4.) Other examples of tropes:

“The clouds were low and hairy in the skies, like locks blown forward in the gleam of eyes.” Robert Frost “Once by the Pacific”

“Zoom Zoom” Mazda commercial

"When I was thy years, Hal, I was not an eagle's talon in the waist; I could have crept into any alderman's thumb-ring." William Shakespeare Henry IV

No comments: