Thursday, September 25, 2008

Freewrite on Observing

I collected data based on how I saw the two writers interacting with one another throughout the writing process. The writers broke down and discussed the two questions in the writing prompt before deciding which question to address in their letter. The students then brainstormed about the PWE concentration and took notes. One student began to type the letter while talking with the other student and discussing the letter’s content. Both students read off their notes in order to help compose the letter. The students communicated continuously by asking questions and offering suggestions.

As an outside observer of the students’ writing process, I was not able to ask questions or converse with the two writers. Instead, I watched as they spoke with each other and completed the letter. Had I been able to speak with the writers, I feel that I would have had a clearer understanding of their writing process. As the writing activity evolved, I began to be able to see which students were taking on which roles. While the one student typed the letter, the other student monitored the writing process and tried to contribute to the composition of the letter verbally. Once the students had finished the letter, they both made final revisions.

No comments: