Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Page 94, Activity #3

As an English major, I have written numerous papers that have required me to draw on outside sources as well as personal experience. One particular paper that stands out in my mind is an essay I wrote for my political science course last fall. For this assignment, I was required to read two essays by different authors about the question, “how democratic is America?”. I was then instructed to decide which of the two authors I agreed with, adopt that writer’s viewpoint, and write a persuasive essay arguing my opinion on American democracy. In composing the essay, I was required to include at least one outside source as well as one incident from my own personal experience that supported my stance on the issue.

I found this assignment somewhat difficult because I did not entirely agree with either writer. I found that my beliefs concurred with some of the points from both essays, yet also differed from other details of the two passages. I decided to pick out the essay whose details I most strongly agreed with and write from that perspective. After researching the role of democracy in American government, I realized that I had a vast number of resources to sort through. It was essential to select the source that best supported my argument in order to form a credible argument.

Once I had decided on which outside source I wanted to incorporate into my paper, I had to contemplate my own personal experiences and decide how they related to American government. This assignment was slightly less difficult because I was better able to organize my own thoughts then the immense amount of resources I encountered through my research.

After selecting my outside and personal sources, I was left with the task of composing my essay. Even though I had already planned how to incorporate my sources into my writing, actually putting the words on paper was still challenging. I decided to begin my essay by introducing the differing views of both writers. Therefore, I also had to integrate these two sources into my writing. I then delineated which perspective I would be adopting and how I intended to support my opinion.

Once my introduction was complete, the rest of my essay came much easier. I found that I built on the opinion of the writer while also including my own thoughts and beliefs. I feel that this was an important aspect of my paper because it added originality to my work. Although I adopted the viewpoint of another writer, I supported this view with unique and personal sources. Therefore, I was able achieve creativity while still maintaining a convincing and compelling argument.

1 comment:

Scott Wible said...

You provide a thorough, detailed description here of the process you followed to plan and compose your essay. I'd be interested in hearing you say more about the specific decisions you made in choosing which quotes to use (and which ones not to use), how to juxtapose them, when you decided to directly quote and when you decided to indirectly quote and when you decided to interpret, and why. That type of analysis would help you to arrive at a fuller description and analysis of how you asserted your agency as a writer using intertexuality toward a specific rhetorical purpose.