Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Rhetorical Methods Throughout Our Country and Our Communities

2. John Stewart feels that the state of argument in America has become theatrical and has began to serve as a form of entertainment where neither party listens or responds to the other. Instead, both parties shout their opinions at each other and rarely succeed at changing the minds of their opponents. I have witnessed similar arguments among my peers and classmates that strongly resemble the description of the television show Crossfire. These young people tend to declare their opinions through yelling at others and are more concerned with asserting their own opinions then changing the views of others.

I can distinguish these types of theatrical arguments from the rhetorically engaged by paying particular attention to the strategies used by those participating in the argument. Rhetorically engaged individuals support their opinions with testimony and facts. These individuals also use rhetorical proofs, such as ethos, pathos, and logos, to prove their own credibility while also appealing to the emotions and reason of their audience. Theatrical arguments differ from rhetoric in that they lack sufficient support for their main points and opinions. Therefore, they are less able to influence and change the opinions of their audience.


4. There are several means of persuasion used throughout my community to influence the opinions of its members and persuade individuals to change their views about particular issues. I feel that some of the most persuasive means are issues present in the media, especially those enforced and supported by celebrities or political figures. Members of my community are influenced by people they admire and respect. Parents, teachers, coaches, and other family members play a key role in influencing political, religious, and moral values. If a child is raised by family members who hold negative feelings or resentment towards a certain race, the child is more likely to develop racist beliefs.

I also feel individuals are greatly influenced by issues present in the media, especially those enforced and supported by celebrities or political figures. If a person greatly admires a movie star or professional athlete who speaks out about wildlife conservation, that person is more likely to support and defend the protection of wild animals. This type of influence can also sway a person’s decision whether or not to smoke or consume alcohol based on the behaviors of a celebrity whom they admire. Political figures can have similar impacts on members of a community. If a woman respects her governor or congressman, she is more likely to support the political decisions and viewpoints of that individual.

Arguments:


My mother and father are both Catholic and were both raised in Catholic families. Therefore, I am a member of the Catholic Church and a strong follower of their faith.


My history teacher is a democrat and I agree with his beliefs on most political issues. Therefore, I will register to vote as a democrat.


My older sister has never used drugs and insists that they are wrong. I respect my sister and value her opinion. Therefore, I do not use drugs.


I admire Kate Hudson as an actress and enjoy watching her movies. She is very thin and follows a strict diet. Therefore, I will go on the same diet as Kate Hudson so that I can be as thin as the actress I look up to.


I am a fan of Lance Armstrong. I admire his efforts to overcome cancer and raise money to support the fight to find a cure. Therefore, I volunteer through that LIVESTRONG Lance Armstrong foundation and strive to find new ways to help fight cancer.

No comments: